Monday, August 27, 2012

And so it begins!


Through tradition, your pilgrimage typically starts the moments you leave your front door. So, as of 11AM this morning, I have officially started this unique journey. Unofficially, I would like to say my journey started at 5:45am in Fellowship hall. A whopping 3 hours of sleep was achieved, because of how excited I am for this trip.

I met up with my spiritual director (like a spiritual sponsor) from the seminary, Father Raphael, and an old friend whom I've known through church affairs and school. We had pizza at a restaurant in redlands, and talked about what it was I needed to know about travel through Europe. Father raphael then gave me a patch that symbolizes the Camino de Santiago, and 50 euros to help me get started.

After lunch I went to Father Raphael's to catch up on a few hours of sleep. After struggling to get up, I went down stairs and figured I would take advantage of a thorough confession. Confession is something catholics do to help release whatever is heavy on our heart. It is definitely something that I have really come to appreciate in the past few years, especially in program, where this tool is so valuable. After that, we talked a little bit more about the camino, and how I can prepare myself it; after all, it is more then just a walk from one side of the country to the other. Finally, he invited me to accompany him in his private mass. It was a cool feeling, like it was my own personal mass, in which I was really able to connect with my higher power. 

Overall, this was a good start to my journey. I feel cleansed, happy, and blessed. I was sad to leave my program friends, but I know that they will be praying for me, as I will be praying for them.

I am going to try and be as detailed as possible, while keeping the posts as short as possible throughout the next 5 weeks. I will be walking a 500 mile route across Spain, and as a result, i'm sure I will be tired, sore....and who else knows what. Either way, I am looking forward to what this journey will bring, along with posting sweet pictures for friends and family! :)







 

No comments:

Post a Comment