Sunday, September 23, 2012

Leon


Arrived in the larger city of Leon today! The weather was rainy today! Got to test out my new rain jacket for the first time. It seemed to work rather well! I almost didnt bring one, but I am glad I did...because it has been and will be both cold and rainy. The province that I entered yesterday promises more rain, mountains, and just green scenery all around. So far its been beautiful!

The walked today was short and sweet! Only 13km.....which lately is close to nothing! So, I took it as a restful day! Since I arrived in Leon so early (unfortunately on Sunday...EVERYTHING in Spain closes), I was able to walk around, try some new foods, and even attend Mass in the cities Cathedral! I was accaompanied by another pilgrim from Ireland. He name is Noll....and he is a missionary priest in Africa! My mother used to get on me for being ADHD in mass....but this guy! He took it to a new level. He sat for about 5 minutes...got up....walked around...took pictures....and left to go mingle around the pub area! ha! made me laugh...but then again he has been a priest in the poorest areas of Africa for 50 years. I guess he knows what he is doing lol. Either way, he was an awesome person to get to know a little about in the monastery. He has quite a story, and a number of interesting experiences. I eventually got to share a little bit of my story. Of course...I decided to stay in mass ;). I will say though, to attend mass in such a huge cathedral was an incredible feeling! A first experience for me

Another cool thing about this city is the hostel the pilgrims can choose to stay in. Its an active monastery for Benedictine nuns! Ive seen a few walking around, but for the most part they have been hiding all day. However, some of the pilgrims are invited to attend mass, evening prayer, and a special pilgrim blessing with them. They even offer us a complimentary breakfast in the morning! Although, what is a free breakfast put on by nuns without a donation basket in the entrance ;)! Anyways, its nice that they serve the pilgrims in such a way. It really adds to the authenticity of the camino....Kinda like the bed bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment