Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Navarette and Azofra

Im walking at a fairly good pace! The plan was to go a little bit further today, however my body was not going to let me.  My stopping point today is the small town of Azofra.

Naverette was my stop yesterday. I ended up arriving to this town a little late because of the running of the bulls in Viana. I didnt get to see the actual bulls run through the city, because I was afraid of arriving late to the next city and not getting a place to sleep. However, I did get to go to mass and see the ¨pre-party. It was amazing to see; the culture is so different, and so much fun. The tradition is very old, so people of all ages were out celebrating. Anyways, upon arriving to Navarette late (getting lost in Lagrono is also my reason for being late) i was unable to find a place to sleep! Thank god one of the private hostels was nice enough to offer me the couch in the community area. I gratefully accepted. In a way it was like my own private room, where I didnt have to hear a ton of other pilgrims snoring. Unfortunately the couch was maybe 4ft long.

The next morning was an early one! I was up and out the door my 6am. This entire hostel seemed to have the same idea of getting up at 530am, so sleeping in was clearly not an option. I said goodbye to the people I met and was on my way, with the possibility of seeing them on the next stop (pilgrims on the camino can either follow the planned stopping schedule, or they can walk not as far, or farther...I chose to skip the major citites and stay in the smaller cities, essentially and longer walk each day). I did get to pass through a city called Najaro. This city was up againt what looked like a red rock mountain. It reminded me a lot of Sedona, AZ. A very beautiful city. Other than that, most of the walk was through vinyards. The grapes are delicous (I doubt im supposed to pick them....but on these long walks the occasional grape is pretty good), and im sure the wine if pretty good as well (ill leave it to other people to let me know how it tastes).

Im finally adjusting to the eating style on the camino. I hit up the local supermarkets, buy a loaf of bread for .55 euro (best bread ive ever tasted is here in Spain), some jamon y queso, or some atun...with a ton of mayo obviously. Makes for a pretty good lunch. Besides dinner, my average lunch is around 2-4 euro.

Im still loving the walk, sometimes it becomes a burden and I want to throw down the white flag, but I find that a consistant surrender keepe me going!!



times up! miss you all!








No comments:

Post a Comment