Friday, September 28, 2012

Ponferrada and the Templar Castle

I only have a few minutes, but I am in the city of Ponferrada...Santiago is right around 10 days away, which means I am close to finished with my pilgrimage...Crazy how fast the time went by.


Anyways, this town has an interesting piece of history in it...A Templar castle! It was built in the 14 and 15th century...It was by far the most interesting thing I have seen. It was so well preserved, and the history tied to it was absolutely amazing. Obviously parts of the castle had been renovated, but for the most part, a lot of it was original. They also had displays of Templar clothing, weapons, religious things, and maps that they used to use. They castle was full of weird stair cases, and tunnels that connected the castle to the river. You could see ruins inside the castle, underground reservoirs, and wells. In some areas you could climb to the top of the castle towers and looks over the city. Not to many people were there because of the time, but I got to sit on the edge of the wall and just imagine what it must have been like. I really have no clue, but the time it must have taken to build it amazes me.

What a cool piece of history! A real life castle! just like the books! Plus...the Templars are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment